Saturday, February 21, 2009

Busy week journalistically

During this week's KOMU dot com shift, I had very little to work on for the website. There was only one nightside reporter on Tuesday, because two of the reporters were live and Dhominique Rick's story about sexting was aired that evening. I spent a couple hours making changes to the website, and spent the rest of the shift working on my website. I have decided to build my video resume using WIX. I have made very slow progress with WIX. I spoke with Mike Brannen about how he built his website, but it turns out the site has changed a bunch since he built his resume last year. Some of the trouble I encountered in building the resume occurred when trying to add a PDF file (I'm still struggling with that one), also when trying to connect my domain (which I purchased a couple months ago) with my WIX site. Youtube also seems to be having a tough time uploading my video files because they are so large and because they are in a .mov format. This is going to be a long process. I have considered seeking outside help, but figure I'll toy with it a bit more. Additionally this week, I worked on my capstone project. I tried to do some background research on growth and development in Columbia and also pegged which key stakeholders in Columbia's growth I would like to interview. I'm a bit concerned that the stakeholders won't want to dedicate an hour of their time to us for interviews. They should have interest in our project and our cause, but I'm worried they won't find it as noteworthy and important as we do. I spent the majority of my time this week planning the RTNDA (Radio television news director's association) trips to Memphis, TN and Las Vegas, NV. I am the president of the organization, so most of the organizational tasks are in my hands. I am very excited for both trips. I love networking and I find other journalism professionals fascinating. Speaking of journalism professionals, I worked on my media giraffe project this week. The subject I interviewed, Andy Hall, was fascinating. He established the center for investigative journalism in Madison, Wisconsin. He started the center with his own money and has such a wonderful motive for the center. He wants to establish outlets for participatory journalism. Under the program, citizens can call in with ideas for investigative reports...and even better, news organizations (newspapers, online news sites and television stations) can get additional resources and funds from the non-profit organization. Hall said he wants to keep investigative reporting alive and well even when journalism is struggling. He called investigative reporting "journalism that matters" and vows that he will keep the center around even when the economy gets tight. He is my idol. I'm glad I had the pleasure to speak with him, and I'm glad our profession has journalists like Hall. What a great influence!

No comments:

Post a Comment