Sunday, April 12, 2009

Editing, Anchoring & Geocaching

During my KOMU dot com shift this week I finished the script for my interactive story about growth and development in Columbia. The story focuses on the costs and benefits that can result from new infrastructure in the city. Matt Thompson, the Missouri School of Journalism fellow heading the project, changed my script to have it resemble a story-telling format. He shot me on camera reading the script and advised me to edit it in a quick pace with jump cuts. The style was quite different for me. I'm used to editing in a traditional news style, but Matt thought this type would be more catchy for the web. I stayed at KOMU-TV 8 until 5am Friday night editing the multi-media piece and adding footage to the story. There's a couple snippets of video I'd like to add, but for the most part the video is complete. We plan to have it up on the website this week in time for our town launch meeting. At the meeting Thursday night, we'll have panelists speak about key issues concerning growth and development in the city. I hope members of the public show up!

This week I also shot a story for KOMU news about geocaching. This is a type of "treasure hunting" for adults. Hunters use GPS systems to locate Tupperware containers called "letterboxes". Inside they find a card which they stamp to show they found the box. They then re-hide the letterbox for the next hunter. I found a man who actually drove to Columbia from Saint Louis to take part in the hunt. The man said he's participated in more than 1,800 hunts within the last two years. You can watch that story by clicking here.

Yesterday (Saturday) I anchored the 6pm newscast with Brandon Lewis. This was the first newscast we have done together since MUTV freshman year in college. The newscast went really well, but there was some awkward silence at the end where we should have chatted. I guess we'll have to work on that for next week.

Additionally, I sent out my first three resume tapes this week. I find it tough to have enough time to apply to the stations I am interested in, but perhaps I'll find a bit of time to send out more resumes/DVDs/cover letters this week. Wish me luck, blog followers!

No comments:

Post a Comment